Over the last two years, Chickenshed, through its Young Company, has developed a youth guided and youth led approach to making theatre that puts young people right at the core of the creative process. This summer we will be opening up this process to practitioners interested in developing their methods of creative work with young people.
Apply by 24 May
This course, led by our Head of Young Company Matthew Lyons, Youth Theatre Director Robin Shillinglaw, and members of the Chickenshed Young Company explores how we develop stimuli into material and take these ideas forward when making theatre with large and small groups of young people.
During the course participants will work alongside current members of our Young Company and also young people new to our work. Training runs parallel to our Summer Scratch and will be a practical, hands on approach to planning and delivery alongside the Chickenshed team, with ongoing reflection and evaluation embedded throughout the week.
There will also be the opportunity to observe our young people supporting children in creating theatre while developing social and communication skills, and the chance to watch one of our Young Company productions.
Who is it for?
- Participatory artists working with young people
- Youth theatre directors
- Teachers and youth workers
- Professional writers and directors who want to develop their work with young people
What will you gain?
- Develop the essential ability to respond organically to the continuously changing young people you are working with and the tools to adapt so all participants can benefit from the creative process that is key to the core of our work
- The approach of presence, participation and achievement. A focus on ownership and how contribution comes in multiple forms. How to harness the skills of young people so not only are they present; they flourish and attain both personal and group goals.
- Sharing practice- your experience matters. Where can we amalgamate ideas and how can you look at delivering aspects of your creativity to a diverse group of young people
- Develop your understanding of an inclusive approach to theatre making; creating processes and environments where any young person no matter their background or prior experience can thrive.
Saturday 15 June 11am-4pm – Introductory Workshop
July 2-12 – Opportunity to watch a performance of Chickenshed Young Companys production of Feel the Love. *Exact dates and details to be discussed at 15 June workshop.
Monday 29 July 10am-6pm
Tuesday 30 July 9am-6pm
Wednesday 31 July 10am-6pm
Thursday 1 August 10am-6pm
Friday 2 August 11am-7pm (inc. scratch presentation of work by Young Company members)
£400 payable in advance
*We are able to offer a two-part payment plan if you need to pay in instalments and please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to discuss any aspect of payment or support with payment. We regret that we are not able to offer refunds if you cancel your place and we are unable to fill it with another paying participant.
How to apply
Places are limited so to apply, please send a short email stating why you wish to be considered for the course and what you hope to get out of it with your attached CV with included current DBS number to email@example.com by Friday 24 May at the latest.
If you have any queries please contact us on 0208 216 2711 or via email.