Child Protection in Education (Music), is a bespoke online course developed by the Musicians' Union in partnership with EduCare. The purpose of this course is to raise your awareness of abuse, neglect and other harms, help you to recognise early signs that might indicate a problem, and guide you on how to take appropriate action.
This course is suitable for anyone who works with children and young people in a music setting.
This five module course delivers five CPD hours and covers:
- what forms child abuse can take (including other harms such as FGM, forced marriage and sexual exploitation) and the effect it can have
- extremism, radicalisation, and the Prevent duty
- signs that may mean a child is suffering abuse and how to respond if a child confides in you
- processes for reporting abuse
- the child protection system.
The course also includes short films demonstrating good and bad practice examples on the following issues:
- inappropriate communication with children
- inappropriate demonstration of technique
- dealing with a difficult group situation
- responding to concerns about abuse.