The Mayors Youth Task Force, led by Pete Walsh, ex head teacher of Forest Hill School, met during 2010 and published its final report to the Mayor and Cabinet on 19th January 2011.
The terms of reference set out areas of focus for the group.
It was to:
- Explore ways to develop opportunities for young people to gain training, work experience and employment opportunities
- Investigate how the ways in which young people approach employment and training opportunities might be enhanced by
- raising their own self esteem and attitudes towards their role in society;
- Look at ways to support young people to fulfil their potential
- Consider how best to encourage young people to be positive role models in their local communities and beyond
The recommendations were clustered into five themes:
- Youth led approach
- Social enterprise and the third sector
See the report below.