As Schools Learning Manager, you will be integral to the delivery of our vision, translating it into inspiring learning activity for schools and other formal learning audiences. You will lead a busy and talented team, and apply your passion, knowledge and experience in learning theory and practice to guiding the direction, content and delivery of the schools programme. You will oversee a team of six to deliver activities and resources for a schools audience of 46,000 each year.
Deadline: 10am, 11 September 2019
The Schools Learning Manager is integral to the delivery of this vision, translating it into inspiring learning activity for schools and other formal learning audiences. They lead a busy and talented team, and apply their passion, knowledge and experience in learning theory and practice to guiding the direction, content and delivery of the schools programme.
A particular responsibility of this post is face-to-face teaching which harnesses the learning potential of the Hornimans diverse collections, temporary exhibitions, displays and gardens.
Programme development and delivery (55%)
- Oversee the activity planning, delivery, marketing and monitoring of a broad range of learning sessions and resources for formal learning audiences, to meet annual targets.
- Lead on the evaluation and reporting of schools learning activity.
- Oversee the delivery of the schools booking and enquiry service.
- Manage the daily operations for receiving and teaching high numbers of school learners per day, including working with other departments to manage the systems, spaces and resources involved.
- Deliver high quality hands-on learning sessions, using the Handling Collection, for school groups from EYFS to Post-16, across collection themes. Typically deliver three sessions a week during term-time.
- Develop and manage projects to ensure access to the service for underrepresented groups, e.g. SEND groups.
Team and resource management (40%)
- Inspire enthusiasm and creativity in the Schools Learning team and in the learners who use the service.
- Develop team and individual work plans and support development needs in the Schools Learning team.
- Monitor budgets and income, maintain accurate financial records and advise on the level of resources needed to carry out planned programmes.
- Support the future sustainability of the Horniman Museum through contributing to fundraising, revenue generating and other enterprising strategies.
- Oversee the management and maintenance of an extensive Handling Collection of around 3500 objects.
- Establish and maintain relevant networks and contacts, to share our learning, build partnership projects, and keep abreast of developments in learning practice and theory.
- Contribute to cross disciplinary Museum teams, for example the Operations group, Safeguarding Group and exhibition development project teams.
- Act in a professional manner and uphold the Hornimans Code of Conduct.
- Follow and promote safe systems of work and observe health and safety regulations.
- Any other duties that may be required to ensure the effective running of the section.
Full time, Salary £33,903 pa rising to £34,595 after probation