Pupil Premium funding is given to schools to offer targeted support
What is Pupil Premium?
- Pupil Premium is extra government funding that is given to schools or early years providers to help improve their attainment of their disadvantaged pupils.
- Funding is issued depending on the number of pupils a school or early years provider has in January from the following groups: free school meals, looked-after and previously looked-after children and academically able pupils (pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds).
- Eligible schools for Pupil Premium include: local authority-maintained schools, academies and free schools, voluntary-aided-schools and non-maintained special schools.
- How pupil premium is used is decided by the school leaders as they are best-placed to assess their pupils’ needs. It is recommended to use a tiered approach that focuses on teaching quality. Read more in the Pupil Premium Guide.
- Schools and early years providers must show how they are using their pupil premium effectively through online statements, Ofsted inspections and published performance tables.
- In addition to Pupil Premium, schools or early years providers may also apply for Service Pupil Premium to support children of service families through their school years. Read more here.
Find out more:
Department for Education’s Policy paper for Pupil Premium.
This toolkit is an accessible summary of educational research that provides guidance for teachers and schools on how to use their resources to improve the attainment of disadvantages pupils’.
This article provides guidance towards how to use Pupil Premium with reference to the department of educations and ofsted.
Article exploring the Arts Premium as laid out in the budget which is due to be introduced from September 2021.
If you have any more information on pupil premium or if you are running an arts project/ programme funded by pupil premium- we’d love to hear about it.
This an introduction and not a definitive guide; it is always wise to do your own research and let us know if you find more resources and information.