Southbank and charity Good Vibrations celebrate 10 years of Gamelan in Crminal Justice
Date: 08/12/2023 – 08/12/2023
Time: (All day)
Four days of workshops, presentations, debates and performances will highlight the creative, important and inspiring work done with gamelan (and other art forms) in criminal justice and the community. The three main themes of the event are:
· The psychological and social benefits of gamelan and other art forms.
· The realities and challenges of running arts projects in criminal-justice settings.
· The practicalities of facilitating gamelan workshops and other arts with challenging client groups, and celebrating the art created
Confirmed speakers include:
· Nick Hardwick (Chief Inspector of Prisons)
· Michael Spurr (Chief Executive of the Prison Service)
· Professor Alison Liebling (Cambridge University’s Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice)
· Alan Davey (Chief Executive of Arts Council England)
· Mark Williamson, Director of Action for Happiness
· Dr Tamara Russell, Director of Centre for Excellence in Mindfulness
· Kirk Turner, NOMS Personality Disorder Strategy Team
· Peter Wright, Governor of Lincoln Prison
· Gary Monaghan, Governor of Pentonville Prison
· Steve Turner, Head of Reducing Reoffending at HMP Whatton
· Jess Haskins, Evidence Lead, Commissioning Strategies Group, NOMS
· James King, Head of Learning & Skills, Scottish Prison Service
· Steve Sutton, Curriculum Development Manager, OCN (Open College Network) Londo
· Gerard Lemos, Director of Lemos and Crane
· plus prison officers, prison education staff, mental health staff, academics and leading arts-in-criminal-justice organisations and practitioners.
It’s a really exciting line-up! We also have workshops and contributions from Clean Break, The Koestler Trust, Music in Prisons, Geese Theatre, Streetwise Opera, British Gospel Arts and Dance United as well as sessions on mindfulness and psychological approaches to teaching. The full programme is available online at www.southbankcentre.co.uk/sharinggoodvibrations.
If you would be interested in attending, there are concession tickets with 50% discount for day tickets.
Alternatively, Good Vibrations are also awarding bursaries – subject to availability – of an 80% discount on each a day ticket (please email email@example.com with Sharing Good Vibrations Bursaries in the email subject)