On Sunday 3 November 2019 just days after Halloween we invite everyone and anyone to take part in a monstrous masquerade procession through the streets of Deptford.
Date: 07/12/2023 – 07/12/2023
Across the world, we humans have created masquerade traditions that are both beautiful and startling. Whenever theres the need for our community to process and incorporate a significant change, we turn ourselves into monsters, animals and spirits.
On Sunday 3 November 2019 just days after Halloween we invite everyone and anyone to take part in an extraordinary masquerade parade through the streets of Deptford. Expect a whirlwind of fur, feathers, horns, drones, drums, pompoms, bears, bagpipes, sequins, leather, lions and bells. Watch the trailer
This is the closing event for Deptford X (whose 2019 theme is ‘Stop Making Sense’), and is funded by an Arts Council National Lottery Project Grant.
How to get involved:
- If you’re a group with a plan to do something big, contact email@example.com. We have funding to support you.
- If you’re an individual or a small group who want to get involved, it’s easy! Register here and invite yourself to our free Saturday costume-making workshops (see below). And show up looking magnificent for the parade on Saturday 3 November.
FREE costume-making workshops
Free drop-in workshops for people of all ages to plan, design and make their parade mask and costume. Materials provided.
- 11am-3pm Sat 5 October, Deptford X, 9 Brookmill Road SE8 4HL
- 11am-3pm Sat 12 October, Deptford X
- 11am-3pm Sat 19 October, Deptford Lounge, 9 Giffin St SE8 4RJ
- 11am-3pm Sat 26 October, Deptford Lounge
- 11am-3pm Sat 2 November, Deptford Lounge
FREE Masquerade! Horniman Explorers sessions for families
- 11am-12.30pm Sat 19 October, Horniman Museum
- 11am-12.30pm Sat 2 November, Horniman Museum
12noon-2.00pm Sat 3 November
Start at Fordham Park, then parade under the railway towards the Albany, through Deptford Market Yard, down Deptford High Street, u-turn at the Anchor, and walk the final distance to Deptford Station. Approx 1 mile.